Monday, June 07, 2004

The Looking Glass

Throw down your mantle of pride and discard your armor of vanity
Come with me and look into the looking glass,
Let me tell you what I see.

I see a boy, standing there, where your reflection should be.
His eyes agleam with bold audacity,
Proud and erect, his stance forbids sympathy.
With shades on head that bespeaks of “cool” fashion,
His swaggered walk and baritone draw much attention.
But I know him, this boy,
Whose impish, careless ways sometimes hover on the brink of tyranny;
There is something fragile concealed beneath his forced dignity.
What does he try (in vain) to hide?
His secret fears, deep inside?
Peer now into the looking glass ― the façade is breaking.
Now stands a lost orphan.
Do you know him?

Do you know this boy standing where your reflection should be?
His heart hungry for human affection,
Alone and afraid, his dreams are often in confusion.
Sometimes he could do nothing but watch as life passes him by
Yet at other times he is running and his hopes are flying high.
So you know this boy;
There are too many clues here for you to remain ignorant.
But do you concede these things that I have made apparent?
Are these untruths you can’t abide?
Or plain facts you can no longer hide?
Step back from the looking glass ― the image is fading.
Now stands someone else.
You are him.

Equip now yourself with compassion replete with empathy.
Come bring me to the looking glass
Tell me what you see.

No comments: