Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Do You Still Remember? (Sonnet)

Do you still remember that night when we first met?
I was half-awake, half asleep --
Too long ago this dream I dreamed; the memory too far, too deep.
Was the prussian sky littered with stars that night?
And did Orion’s belt shine and gleam with mischievous delight?
Did you feel the rumbling of the trains beneath our feet?
Or was it just the tremors of my racing heartbeat?

The August moon might be laughing when Cupid let his arrow fly
But I was half-awake, half asleep --
Too cunningly he planned, too well hid; his shot had pierced me deep.
If now you recall, did u foresee all this from the start?
Or were you a victim too? Did Cupid prey upon your unsuspecting heart?
Yet how could I deny what the Fates had conspired for me
And in this half-dreaming, half-waking -- I submit to my destiny.

No comments: